What could be more delicious than caramelized onions?
Caramelized onion on a burger! DUH.
Sometimes (like every night) I just get hungry for a nice juicy burger for dinner. I think one of the reasons that I like burgers so much is that they are a blank canvas. This time around, my inspiration was balsamic caramelized onions.
Who knew that five simple ingredients could produce such a flavorful topping?
I don’t know if onions are allowed be considered a favorite food, but they are one of mine, especially when they are caramelized
I normally like my burger with cheese and ketchup (I like the meat to do the talking), but I was pleasantly surprised how fantastic these came out. The burgers were juicy, the onions were sweet, and the cheese was…
Balsamic Caramelized Onion and Cheddar Burgers
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound grass fed beef
- 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 3-4 hamburger rolls
- Heat butter in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until very soft and deeply golden.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Set aside.
- Form beef into 3-4 patties. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat.
- Add the burgers and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until medium rare to medium. Top with the cheddar cheese and onions and continue to cook until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm on hamburger buns with desired condiments.
*For tips on grill the perfect burger, please see this post*
Can you think of a better burger?