Quesadillas are definitely a staple in my diet.
I mean, it’s grilled carbs with cheese in the middle…
Yes I love quesadillas, but I love them even more when they involve cheese, caramelized onions, and BBQ sauce. There is some chicken in there, but an unhealthy amount of cheese is what makes a quesadilla, well a quesadilla.
Want to know my favorite part about these grilled masterpieces?
Seriously, you can make anything.
I don’t like to toot my own horn, but this is by far my tastiest creation.
I’ve had it for lunch three days this week, but I’m probably going to have it again today.
Seriously, IT IS THAT GOOD.
Yet so simple…
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 4 ounces grilled or roasted chicken (leftovers will save you)
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 TBS butter (you can use oil here, but organic butter is just so much better)
- 1 ounce of shredded gouda cheese (this cheese is essential)
- 1 ounce of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 TBS of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a non stick skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Caramelize the onion in the pan for 15 minutes. This step is KEY.
- Assemble the quesadillas: layer the barbecue sauce, chicken, caramelized onions, cilantro, and cheese in a tortilla. Top with another tortilla.
- Heat another tablespoon of butter in a cast iron skillet. Grill the quesadilla for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Slice and enjoy.
Excuse me while I go prepare lunch