I. LOVE. THIS. CHEESE.
Le Gruyère is sweet, but slightly salty, with a flavor that varies widely with age. It is often described as creamy and nutty when young, but much more complex when properly aged.
It is freaking awesome.
What is your favorite cheese?
I hate to say it, but I have a new found love for savory breakfasts. Sometimes a few eggs, cheese, and a little organic butter is the perfect way to start the day. I am normally focused on satisfying my
nut butter tooth sweet tooth in the morning, but I’m sort of in a breakfast rut and pancakes are no longer appealing.
Sad day huh?
Do you prefer a sweet or savory breakfast?
Not only will this meal jump start your morning, it’s also a great meal to enjoy with a glass of wine for dinner. I don’t know about you, but I eat breakfast for dinner
daily weekly. It’s a great way to enjoy some cheese
Wine and cheese?
Scrambled Eggs with Caramelized Onions and Gruyere
- 6 eggs, beaten (preferably organic)
- 3 TBS organic butter
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Handful of fresh herbs, chopped (I used parsley)
- 1/2 cup shredded Le Gruyere
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- Heat 2 TBS of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 20 minutes. Lower heat to medium low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 20 more minutes.
- Turn the heat to low, push the onions to the side of the pan, and pour the eggs in the middle. Slowly scramble, scooping up the partially cooked pieces from the bottom and redistributing the raw egg. When the egg is almost entirely cooked, add the cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine and cook for another minute or so until the eggs are cooked, but not overdone. Serve immediately in tortillas.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.