I wasn’t lying when I said eggs are one of my favorite foods…
This is a dish with made eggs, tomatoes, garlic, and fresh herbs. Plus a little kick from some red pepper flakes
Doesn’t that sound like a combination that would have to taste good?
As we all know, I love eggs, and they’re something I cook several times every week. I’ve made plenty of egg dishes, but this has to be one of my new favorite ways to cook eggs.
While wandering around at Target yesterday, I stumbled upon a few mini ramekins that I knew I had to buy. Once my eyes laid sight on those ramekins, this dish instantly popped into my head!
You could certainly make this in a large casserole dish for a crowd, but eating of out ramekins is so much cooler right?
Eggs Baked In A Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, mined
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 8 eggs, preferably organic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 pieces of whole wheat bread, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a small pot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the chopped onion and garlic for a few minutes until slightly softened.
- Add red pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes, oregano, and stir to combine.
- Cover and bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly, then blend well in a blender (or an immersion blender if you have one).
- Spoon 1/4 cup of warm sauce into each of 8 ramekins.
- Crack an egg into each ramekin, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake in a preheated oven at 400* oven for 10-15 minutes minutes, until whites have set but yolk is still soft and creamy.
- Serve with toasted bread and butter.
Make sure not to overcook! You want that runny yolk