Some nights, you just want a chicken sandwich. With cheese on it.
(If you are a vegetarian, this recipe would be fantastic with tofu or tempeh. Trust me, I’ve tried it).
This week, I have been eating all things Mexican!
- My homemade salsa (it is crack)
- Avocado (DUH)
- Pepper jack cheese (new addiction)
As stated above, I made some fresh salsa a few days ago and it’s so good that I have been eating it with a spoon straight from the jar. I normally only do that with nut butter, but I will make an exception. For now…
Yeah, it’s that good.
I also picked up some pepper jack cheese that I swear is laced with some kind of addictive drug. I purchased a block three days ago and the wrapper is already in the trash
That can’t be a good sign…
Mexican Style Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 4 (4-6ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (preferably organic)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 TBS lime juice
- Homemade salsa (recipe follows)
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 6 ounces of pepper jack cheese, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, stir together garlic, cumin, chili powder, ground red pepper, and lime juice.
- Rub mixture on chicken.
- Refrigerate chicken for 30 minutes to an hour to marinate.
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Top with cheddar cheese and salsa.
- Serve hot on whole wheat buns.
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 TBS fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 fresh jalapeño (or serrano chiles), seeded, finely chopped
- In medium bowl, stir together all ingredients.
Best. Sandwich. Ever.